Firework Season is Upon Us
Here are several tips to help your pet:
- Avoid walking dogs at night when fireworks are being set off; longer walks during the day are a good idea to burn of excess energy. Make sure dogs have had an opportunity to go to the toilet outside well before it gets dark and then keep them inside.
- Consider building a den for your dog or your cat to help them settle, a collapsible cage with lots of blankets sometimes works, you’ll only need to have it up during the fireworks season is on. Having a jumper/blanket smelling of you may help to calm them.
- Cats will prefer to be somewhere higher up so you might be able to place an enclosed cat bed on a higher surface. Close all cat flaps. Some dogs respond quite well to thunderjackets which are tight fitting jackets that help to reduce anxiety levels.
- Having the curtains shut and the TV or radio on quite loud can help distract your pet and muffle the sound of the fireworks.
- Try not to show your own anxiety or worry as your pet will pick up on this; don’t get angry with your pet or over fuss them, just reassure them gently and be as normal and routine as possible.
You can call us during normal opening hours to discuss with a nurse or vet which products we can recommend to help settle your pet, these are complimentary therapies that can be administered to most animals. It is usually best to start these 1-2 weeks before the noise level goes up.
The main products we consider for firework phobias are listed below:
Our new range of nutravet products includes Nutracalm, is formulated to naturally calm anxious pets and to help reduce unwanted or unruly behaviour. Visit the Nutravet Website for more details. These cannot be purchased online but visit the Cassiobury Drive or Katherine Place surgery to request them.
Something else to consider is Adaptil. Adaptil works as it contains a special scent (odourless to people and other animals) to replicate the pheromone that mother dogs naturally emit to their puppies just after birth, to comfort them and reinforce the attachment between the mother and her offspring.
This pheromone can still have the same calming effect on adult dogs in stressful situations, when released through Adaptil products.These are availiable from both surgeries and our Online Shop.
See more at: Adaptil website
Zylkène contains a natural product, derived from casein, a milk protein. It is a molecule well known to promote the relaxation of newborns after breastfeeding. It is used for helping pets cope when facing unusual and unpredictable situations or before occasions such as a change in their normal environment. These are available from both surgeries and also our Online Shop. See more at: Zylkène Website
Scullcap & Valerian
This is a herbal remedy that is used to calm and relax pets without the use of sedatives. It is a widely used treatment for noise phobias eg fireworks, thunder and can also be used for general hyperactivity and excitability.
Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.