Shola the Yorkshire Terrier

 
Shola is a 9 year old Yorkshire Terrier who presented with an unknown history.  She was fine when her owner went to work and when she returned a few hours later she was clearly very unwell.  She was very shaky and shivery which progressed to seizure activity over the first couple of hours after she was admitted to our ward.  She had been fit and well up until this point.  We were very concerned that something may have poisoned her due to the sudden onset and the fact that she had been left unsupervised in the house and garden while her owner was at work.
As the day progressed her seizures worsened so we were certain a poisonous substance she may have eaten was fairly likely to be the cause of her behaviour.  It was important to get the toxins out of Shola's body and so we elected to risk anaesthetising her to pump her stomach to prevent further toxin absorption.
The stomach pumping entailed us using a large tube with fluid in it to pass down her oesophagus and into her stomach and then gravity to empty out stomach contents.  The substance coming out of Shola's stomach was bright blue strongly suggesting slug pellets had been ingested.  We needed to continue cleaning the stomach for several hours until no further blue pellets were coming out.  This was very important as we needed to prevent her body absorbing the methaldehide toxin from the slug pellets as they were digested.
We also performed an enema and evacuated her bowels under anaesthetic to prevent further absorption within her intestines of any that had already passed through the stomach.  Her faeces were also blue in colour from the toxin absorption.  We informed Shola’s owner of what we had found and she confirmed a bag of slug pellets had been left in the garden.
Shola was kept in the hospital overnight for monitoring and on some anti-seizure medication.  Within a few hours she was looking much better and by the following morning she was back to normal and ready to go home.
Shola was a very lucky dog as methaldehyde poisoning can be fatal if a large amount has been absorbed and isn’t removed from the body quickly.  Her blood test a week later is completely normal and with no lasting effects on the liver.
 

Shola